The second module builds on the sense of having an overall strategy (as developed in Module 1) and takes governors into another under-explored area – the character of the school.
This is an issue which Bishop Stephen Cottrell has described as the ‘smell’ of the school, and is a key intangible issue for governors as they set about delivering on their strategic picture.
A ‘character diagram’ is central to this module, again delivered via an interactive whiteboard to enable governors to be hands-on with the process.
This page gives you all you need to run Module 2.
In essence, you need:
A room with a couple of large tables pushed together
- A flipchart
- Marker pens for the flipchart
- A way of playing back the two video clips (which you need to download below)
- A way of taking an image of your completed ‘character diagram’ (an iPad or similar is good)
- Colour printouts of the various documents contained in the zip file download (see below)
The most important thing is to read carefully through the Facilitator Guide – that gives you all the guidance you need to make the session work well.
You need to download this zip file.
The zip file download contains the following files:
- Session plan.pdf
- Governor handout.pdf
- Setup notes.pdf
- Facilitator Guide.pdf
- School character (video, .mp4 format, 136MB)
- Character diagram – template
- Character diagram – completed example
You also need hard copies of the ‘strategic picture’ you created in Module 1 (printed in colour)
Note – .mp4 video files should run on any current computer, whether PC or Mac