The rubber hits the road
In Module 3, governors establish the crucial linkages between the ‘strategic picture’ from Module 1 with the school’s plans, through creating a new strategic plan which acts as the bridge between the two.
That process also uses some of the techniques developed in Module 2.
The module helps assess what in the existing school plans is actually strategic, by asking and helping governors to filter out the operational aspects.
The result is a useful and insightful strategic plan, which has the enduring merit of being tightly related both to the really big goals (as set in Module 1) and to the strategic elements of the existing school plans.
Governors also have the chance to see how that plan can develop a distinctive narrative which offers a significant input in explaining the governors’ strategic vision to stakeholders.
In essence, you need:
A room with a couple of large tables pushed together
- A flipchart
- Marker pens for the flipchart
- A way of playing back the three video clips (which you need to download below)
- Colour printouts of the various documents contained in the zip file download (see below)
The most important thing is to read carefully through the Facilitator Guide – that gives you all the guidance you need to make the session work well.
You need to download this zip file.
The zip file download contains the following files:
- Facilitator Guide.pdf
- Quick notes.pdf
- Session notes.pdf
- Setup notes.pdf
- Governor handout.pdf
- Operational or strategic (video, .mp4 format, 119MB)
- Strategic planning pitfalls (video, .mp4 format, 134MB)
- A new narrative (video, .mp4 format, 86MB)
- Strategic plan – template
You also need hard copies of:
- The ‘strategic picture’ you created in Module 1 (printed in colour)
- The school’s development plan (SDP) or equivalent
- The school’s SIAMS plan (or equivalent)