Module 1 – The bigger picture
This first module is foundational to the other three. It provides the governing body with the chance to consider their really big goals for the school, and to develop a strategic sense of how these can be achieved.
Module 1 focuses on the question ‘what do we want our school to be known for?’.
The process centres around creating a strategic picture for the school, starting with an actual blank sheet of paper.
The outcome is a set of goals for the school, agreed by the governor group, which together answer the question ‘what do we want our school to be known for?’.
The module also helps governors identify which activities and outcomes of various groups connected with the school (including governors themselves) are critical in getting these goals delivered successfully.
A room with a couple of large tables pushed together
- Enough flipchart sheets to tape together to cover the tables (those sheets become your ‘blank sheet of paper’)
- A set of cards (contained within the module’s download package)
- Flipchart pens
- A way of playing back the video clips (also within the download package)
- A way of taking an image of your completed strategic picture (a phone, iPad or similar)
- Printouts of the various documents contained in the zip file download, as required (see below)
The most important thing is to read carefully through the Facilitator Guide – that gives you all the guidance you need to make the session work well.
You need to download this zip file:
The zip file download contains the following files:
- Cards.pdf – this file must be printed in colour and in full
- Governor handout.pdf
- Session notes.pdf
- Setup notes.pdf
- Facilitator Guide.pdf
- The Patchwork Quilt (video, .mp4 format, 73MB)
- The Feedback Loop (video, .mp4 format, 35MB)
- Agreeing outcomes for governors (video, .mp4 format, 41MB)
- Agreeing outcomes for children (video, .mp4 format, 70MB)
Note – the .mp4 video files should run on any current computer